Saturday, March 7, 2009

New Scent Reviews

So, sinus season has been over for awhile, and that means it's time to get back to scent reviews. I refuse to get a new batch of BPAL imps until I've reviewed my growing collection... so I better get cracking.

BPAL IMPS

Juke Joint

Bottle: Oaky wood (nice), very very subtle mint (also nice), a sort of earthy sweet (err..interesting?)

Wet: Whiskey barrel & tobacco sweet. Kind of like Mad Sweeney, but without the pumpkin spice.

5 Min Dry: Holy Shit! It's turned to baby powder. Sickly sweet baby powder! Get if off me! Sweet Zombie Jesus, get if off me!!!

Drying: Ok, the baby powder is abating a little, at least to the point where I won't hurl. I'm getting a little more of the wood notes, but not enough to make my sniffer happy. There's also a hint of something astringent like gin, but the ever present sweet powder cock blocks the promise of alcohol.

30 min: Sweet talcum over witch hazel. I'm done. Washing it off and don't plan to reapply.


Madrid

Bottle: Mmmmm. Smells like red. Candy red, like a big shiny cherry lollipop.

Wet: Shit howdy. The minute this hits skin, the sugar note amps up to butter cream with a hint of amaretto. I totally want to eat my arm.

5 min: There's a new bitch in town, and her name is Vanilla. But don't let the slutty dress fool you, this is a classy bitch. She's working it ol' school unlike those cheap vanilla tramps in all the storebrand soaps and lotions. She's got a boozy headiness, like taking a wiff of pure extract.

Drying: There's a whole Pachebel Canon going on here. Close to the skin, there are cloves & vanilla but walking about I keep getting a bright cheery fruit glow. I actually feel happier. Go figure.

30 min: Spicy, warm sangria. Almost a bit Christmasy with the red fruits, vanilla and spice. I was surprised that it did not go cloying on me. Definitely a fall/winter sniff. Very foody, and I don't normally like smelling like food, but it's definitely a pleasant imp. I read somewhere that men generally like foody scents, and this is definitely a smell to seduce Mr. Foody.

Conclusion: Keeper, but not something I'd wear often. I'll just store it along side those special black lace "I'm gettin' laid" panties.


Boabhan Sith

Bottle: Grapefruit Ahoy! Sharp & perfumey

Wet: Grapefruit and...juniper? Reminds me of the old Bath & Body Words "Juniper" lotion. Strong, but not overly obnoxious.

5 min: Bright. Happy. I'm suddenly inspired to trollop barefoot through a field of daisies on a warm Spring day. But damn, this imp is bossy and loud, like a really potent shampoo. Don't over apply.

30 min: The overall scent hasn't changed much on the dry down, although it has sweetened from the dirty grapefruit gangbang into a tea party love-in with an apple blossom orgasm. But there is nothing subtle about this scent, and it's not what I'd call sexy. It's a me-time scent for a bright sunny day.

Conclusion: I'm willing to give this scent a whirl outdoors, preferably when next I can trollop barefoot through a field of daisies.

No comments: